- Servings : 4
We were introduced to this recipe by a couchsurfer from China. She said that this dish is very common there. Who’d have known that??? Hubby was very sceptical as he thought that the dish would be very sweet but it was yummy – garlicy and sticky sweet, but not too sweet, from the coke.
I’d recommend using a whole chicken to get the most flavours. Chicken breasts are just way too boring and tasteless!
- 1 whole chicken, about 1.3kg, skinned and cut into at least 8 pieces
- 1 330mL can coca-cola
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, slightly crushed
- 4-cm knob of ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 bird's eye chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Marinate the chicken in dark soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger, garlic and chili for at least 30 minutes.
Brown the chicken in 1 tablespoon of oil on medium heat.
Add the light soy sauce and 1 can of coke and simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to a sticky consistency.
Garnish with non-salted roasted peanuts and chopped spring onion. Serve with plain, steamed rice.*