Homemade potato chips in the microwave2016-09-02
I’m a potato chip freak! Once I open a bag, I can’t stop until the whole bag is gone and I’m talking about half a kilo of chips here. Seriously folks, I have a problem! Or had, since this problem isn’t one anymore ever since I discovered the wonders of microwave potato chips!
If you have a mandolin, then making chips is a breeze otherwise, you have to slice the potato thinly, about 1mm. (I prefer my chips on the thick side.) The cooking time varies depending on your microwave but around five minutes at 900W.
Once you’ve tried this, you’ll never eat store-bought chips again, I guarantee you! And no more guilt trips!
If you have old potatoes then it’s better to peel, otherwise leave the skin on as it gives you some nutrients.
Making chips in the microwave has several advantages:
– portion control – there’s only so much chips one can make in one batch
– very healthy – no oil is used except to add flavour (less than one teaspoon) and this is optional
– your very own flavours. My favourites are salt and pepper or mustard. Other flavours can be mushroom soup powder, cayenne and lemon salt, wasabi, curry, etc.
– no mess, no hassle – nothing to clean
- 1 small potato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Wash the potato in cold water, changing the water several times until it becomes clear
Line a plate with kitchen paper. Place the potato slices on the plate and cover with another layer of kitchen paper.
Blott the slices until they are all dry
Cut out 2 pieces of baking papers to fit the turning tray of your microwave.
Place the potato slices on the baking paper, making sure that the slices don't touch other.
Spray the chips with the olive oil (optional). Season with salt and black pepper. Cover with the second piece of baking paper. This will hasten the cooking process and also cooks the potato evenly.
Place the baking paper with potato in the microwave and nuke at high power for about 4-5 minutes depending on your microwave. (Ours has 900W and takes about 5 minutes to make chips). The chips are done when they are golden brown.